Friday, June 24, 2011

I Love Rochester New York Book

It’s been nine years since I published my first book, i.e., National Geographic Photographic Field Guide: Birds (updated and reprinted as National Geographic Photographing Birds).  I’ve had several ideas for books since.  But I had not initially intended to create a book about Rochester, that is until my son Ken showed me his collection of illustrated books of every place he had lived—except Rochester.  Determined to help him fill this significant gap, my wife and I visited several Rochester bookstores. Failing to find a book that we particularly liked, my wife said to me:  "why don't you publish one of your own?"  She thought I would make a half-dozen copies and be done with it.  But if I were to go to that much effort, I figured I might as well make the book available to others.  And so, over a period of a couple of years, came into being my book on Rochester.  With text and photographs, this book shows how Rochester has developed from a little village called Rochesterville into New York's third largest city.  The 143-page book is lavishly illustrated with photographs I have taken over 38+ years.

With prepublication sales on the order of 500 copies, today I delivered my book to Mercury Print Productions, Inc. (Rochester, NY) to have 3000 copies printed.  The books will soon go on sale in places such as Wegmans, Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc.  Blog readers are invited to contact me (rulon.simmons@gmail.com) directly for discounted copies at $20 for one copy and $15 for additional copies.  The books will be available in about 2 1/2 weeks.





3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new book! I'm sure you make Rochester look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, you're a man of many talents. I'm not surprised by the surprise book. I can't wait to see it and add it to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to peruse this book at Monday's ISCOR meeting. It is beautiful and I will certainly buy one.

    ReplyDelete